Quality Hotel Airport Arlanda
Arlanda, 195 05
Phone: (46) 8 59511100
Fax: (46) 8 59510110
Skånelaholm Castle is a prominent attraction in the municipality of Sigtuna. It was established in 1643. It was the residence of King Magnus III of Sweden in the 13th Century and was later transformed into a monastery. The castle is open to the public for visits.
Belonging to the Archdiocese of Uppsala and popular as one of the 'oldest' surviving churches in the city is the Skånela Church. The church was built in 1160 and highlights a Romanesque style of architecture. Further changes to the structure were made during the 14th Century. A noted figure here at the church is the 16th-century carving of Madonna (Mary) out of wood. There are around 15 runestones tucked around the church's premises.
Rosersberg Palace, built by the Oxenstierna family in the 1630s, was named after the founder's mother's family name, Tre Rosor. In the 1740s it was acquired by Baron Erland Broman, and in 1757, the palace became a royal residence. Built in the Renaissance style, the palace was redesigned according to Baroque standards by Tessin, in the seventeenth century. Some of the interiors have traces of the neo-classical and empire styles. To reach the palace, take the commuter train to Rosersberg and then walk the rest of the way (2km), or catch a boat from Stadshuskajen. Open to pre-booked tours only; see website for details. Palace Park is open year-round.
Hargs bro runic inscriptions in Uppland are listed at U 309, U 31 and U 310 on the Rundata catalog. Unlike most other runic inscription rocks which are found either horizontally or vertically placed, these are bedrocks. The inscriptions are in Old Norse. The inscriptions can be approached from the Harsbro bus stop.
The Näsby Runestone located in Näsby, Uppland, Sweden is a memorial rune stone erected somewhere between the years 793 CE to 1066 CE, also known as the Viking Age. The stone is made of granite and is three meters (9.84 foot) long. The runic text carved on thin beasts suggest that the stone was erected by a man in memory of his parents who had drowned. The stone is classified as U 455 in Rundata (a database of runic inscriptions).
Uppland Runic Inscription 448 is a stone carved with runic text in Harg from the viking era. The stone is made of granite and is 1.9 metres (6.23 foot) long. The stone depicts a picture of a serpent, a man riding on a horse and a bird flying over the man. Based on the runic text, it can be derived that the stone was erected by two brothers Bjôrn and Ígull in memory of their father Þorsteinn.
The Norrtil Runestones are two monumental stones erected in the second half of 11th Century. The stones are situated in Nortill in the parish of Saint Olovs, Uppland, Sweden. The Runestones are located alongside the road from Sigtuna to Til. The grey granite stone is listed as U 410 while the pink granite is listed as U 411 in Rundata (a database of runic inscriptions). Both stones have well preserved runes inscribed on the bodies of serpents and are located at a distance of 190 meters (623 feet) from each other.
Markim Church in Stockholm has no exact traces of its roots but legends have it that this church has been operational since 1287. The church belongs to the Diocese of Sweden and is a registered site of national cultural interest. The church's structure highlights Renaissance style of architecture. Even today, most of its architecture is still retained.
Viking Age objects inscribed on stones are found across Sweden. The runic stone inscription, Kyrkogården Runestones consists of three runestones found close to the St. Mary's Church. Kyrkogården runestones depict the presence of merchant guild in Sweden during the Viking Age. The rocks are listed at U 379, U 380 and U 381 on the Rundata catalog of runic inscriptions.
This modest little information center can give you the goods on everything going on in Sigtuna. Opening and closing times, dinner reservations, and arrangements for tours and boat trips can be made here, and the staff is invariably English-speaking in addition to being knowledgeable.
Venngarn Castle is located in Sigtune. The castle was first mentioned in the oldest surviving letter of Sweden in 1164. After being owned by generations of the Swedish royal family and several powerful people, the castle was returned to the crown in 1686. The castles park designed in 1660, while re-modeling the castle, has a perfect mix of ornamental as well as useful plants arranged in a beautiful manner. The chapel in the castle is known to be one of the most well preserved chapels in Europe from this era. The present owners, Wenngarn AB have opened the castle and parkland to visitors. It offers conference, banquet facilities and a café amongst others. Guided tours can be arranged on weekdays at 2:00 p.
Granhammar Castle is located in the municipality of Upplands-Bro. The castle was established in 1748 and was a private property under the ownership of Arent Persson. In the years to follow, the castle changed hands with a number of different owners until it finally operated as a military training base. The castle is today well preserved as a national monument and is open for public visits.